Joining the trend of /uses, on this page I list the gadgets and software I normally use.
I am quite minimalist, and I prefer to use what solves my needs well enough, rather than products with much more than what I need.
- My main computer is a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
- I connect it via USB-C to a 27" LG monitor with 4K resolution, which I use to charge the battery.
- I stopped using a mouse years ago and use a Magic Trackpad 2.
- I type on a Magic Keyboard 2.
- My cell phone is an iPhone 8. I don't change phones often. If it works for what I need it for, I keep it. I charge it wirelessly, very convenient.
- After going through the original iPad and iPad 2, after many years, I now have a 2018 iPad Pro that we use at home, primarily for watching videos. My daughter uses an iPad Mini 4.
- On my wrist, I wear an Apple Watch Series 4. It works great for me to follow the Pomodoro technique, track my workouts at the gym, control the volume of podcasts and videos, check the temperature, and a long etcetera.
- For my moments of disconnection and leisure around the house, I have a Nintendo Switch. I was a big Sega fan with a Megadrive in my pre-teen years back in the 90s.
- Panasonic camcorder with 1080p resolution.
- A pair of LED light bulbs.
- To listen to music at home, I have an Apple HomePod. Its sound is excellent.
- I also have an Amazon Echo Dot that we use in the living room.
- I use my AirPods 2 (with a wireless charging case) daily.
- Outside the home, I use AirPods Pro (also with a wireless charging case).
- I record voice-overs in my courses with an Apogee HypeMiC voice-over microphone.
- If I record myself in front of the camera, I clip an Apogee ClipMic digital microphone to my shirt.
- I use macOS as my personal operating system.
- I use the Apple apps that come standard with macOS and iOS. Mail, Notes, Reminders, Calendar, Photos, Messages, Safari, Pages, Numbers, Keynote...
To get organized:
- Things as a to-do list.
- MindNode for mind maps.
- Project Office for Gantt charts.
- I really like 1Password to store all sensitive information.
- I love YouTube. I use it daily. I pay for the Premium subscription that includes YouTube Music, which I use to listen to music while I work.
- In a corner, I have OpenEmu, to remember the old days playing beat 'em ups in the neighborhood arcade.
- On servers, I use Linux as the operating system.
- I use Brave Browser when developing locally.
- My favorite code editor is TextMate 2, although sometimes I use Visual Studio Code (primarily for Tailwind CSS). The font I use is Apple's SF Mono.
- I use the system default terminal app without any customization.
- SourceTree is excellent for managing Git repositories.
- For working with images, I use Pixelmator Pro, and for vectors, I use Logoist.
Software for video courses
- I record and edit screencasts with ScreenFlow.
- I edit the camera recording in Apple Final Cut.
- Sometimes, I do some animation with Apple Motion.